So, since my last update, I've been on vacation, started up a new semester, including a new class, and I'm planning my own course to teach next semester while also finishing up data collection for my dissertation and searching and preparing materials for getting a job! Crazy, stressful, and oh-so-exciting times. While I haven't had any photos taken too recently, I did snap a few about a month ago that I'll post below. Gosh, so they would be about 3 months post-op. It is AMAZING that over 4 months have passed now...life went so slowly leading up to this surgery and now life is flying by.
To speak to how I feel about everything...I'm still adjusting to the new "me" that I see in the mirror. Most of the time, I look and it's me I see back. Then I have those days where I look back at old photos and think, why did I do this? Of course, that's from a purely cosmetic perspective. My bite is AMAZING and I love my new smile. Scratch that, I can't wait to see my real new smile (sans braces)! And the good news about that...at the next orthodontist appointment (in a couple of weeks), we are probably going to set the removal date....WHOOO HOOOOOOO!! I didn't think I'd care this much, but I really am ready to get on with all of this. You know, life. Once the braces come off, I'll go back to see Dr. F and get official "after" photos. Can't wait!!
Oh, back to how I'm doing/feeling. Confidence level...surprisingly much higher than I expected. It's so nice to not worry about having to push my lower jaw forward or try desperately to close my mouth when relaxing. My speech is clearer and I feel so much better about myself up in front of the classroom. Not because I think I look better or anything, but because things feel like they should. Comfortable. Everything fits and rests where it should. This surgery is not a self-esteem booster in and of itself (well, maybe if you are an extreme case), but again, I just feel more comfortable in my own skin, and that feels great.
I still have some issues with my nose, and Dr. F took a look at it a couple of weeks ago. That stupid stitch used to keep my nose from widening is just irritating my nose to the point where it's so inflamed on one side I can barely get any air in or out. I checked last night and I don't see the stitch anymore...so maybe once all the pollen levels decrease I'll get some relief. :)
I'm sure I'm leaving out all kinds of information, but I really need to get back to school work. Here are some pictures from August 5th, 2010:




I promise to update again soon with more recent photos!

No comments:
Post a Comment